Saturday, October 24, 2015

ADSS 1.130 Osborne to Tardini: Lord Halifax's message to the Pope


ADSS 1.130 D’Arcy Osborne, UK Minister to the Holy See, to Domenico Tardini, Secretariat of State

Reference: British Legation Number 38/94/39; AES 6819/39

Location and date: Rome, 26.08.1939

Summary statement: Request to deliver Lord Halifax’s message to the Pope.

Language: English

Text:

I have been instructed to convey personally to the Cardinal Secretary of State, or even directly to the Pope himself, a message of appreciation of His Holiness’ broadcast appeal for peace. (1)

In view of these instructions, and since His Eminence is not available, do you think that His Holiness would be disposed to receive me in an audience so that I may personally deliver Lord Halifax’s message in accordance with his instructions?  If so, the earlier I can be received the better.  A telephone message to the Legation (80.846) will always reach me.

I enclose for your personal information a copy of the communication I have prepared for delivery. (2)

Notes: 
(1) ADSS 1.124, n1.

(2) The document has not been found in the ASV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to post a comment. Please be respectful and address the issues, not the person. Comments are subject to moderation.